Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Video Tutorials by Yale Librarians @ Yale University
Steps in a systematic search. Yale University
- Conduct scoping search.
- A scoping search is a preliminary search which allows you to become familiar with the topic and then to create & narrow down the research question. Example of Frameworks. Example of PICO.
- Identify key concepts. Example of key concepts.
- Identify databases. Example of databases.
- Build search strategy identifying medical subject heading (MESH) & keywords for each concept. Example of concept map using Boolean operators. Example of PICO concept map using Boolean operators.
- Apply study design filters & topical hedges.
- Search outside of published literature (Gray literature).
- Clinical trials
- Conference proceedings
- Dissertations & theses
- General scholarly search engines
- Validating, verifying & revising your search strategy
- Cited reference
- Reference lists within an article
- Citing reference (Look at cited by)
- Google Scholar`
- Author search
- Hand search key journals
- Consultation with experts
- MESH analysis (Make sure all appropriate MESH terms are used)
- Detailed record o
- sources searched,
- date searched,
- years searched
- number of records found in each source,
- search strategy used.(Many databases allow you to save a search)
- The PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses)
- Include example of Prisma.
- Reference Management
Video 1: Introduction
The following are standards and guidelines for conducting a systematic review.
The following is a database used to measure the quality of a Systematic Review.
Video 2. Systematic Review Process Step #1 & #2
Define the question
Type of Intervention & Type of Studies
Assemble the team
Create review protocol
Conduct the search
Appraise the quality of studies
Analyze & present data
Write up report
Video 4 & 8: Systematic Searches: Building a Systematic Search. Step #4
Video 4 & 5: Building a search strategy using PubMed.
Video 6 & 7: Building a search strategy using OvidSP.
Video 8: Building a search strategy using Web of Science & Scopus.
Video 9. Filters & Hedges Step #5
Video 10. Finding Gray Literature Step #6
Stimson Library | US Army MEDCoE
BLDG 2840 STE 106 3630 Stanley Road JBSA Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6160
Privacy & Security Notice | External Links Disclaimer | Web Accessability